Bupropion HCL SR 150
ZYBAN (bupropion hcl sr or bupropion hydrochloride sustained-release) is a prescription medicine to help people quit smoking.
For many patients, ZYBAN reduces withdrawal symptoms and the urge to smoke. Studies have shown that more than one third of people quit smoking for at least 1 month while taking ZYBAN (bupropion hcl sr) and participating in a patient support program.
It is important therefore, for smokers to participate in the behavioral program, counseling, or other support program your healthcare professional recommends.2
Clinical use of bupropion SR 150 (FDA approved)
- Appropriate as a first-line medication for treating tobacco use.
and side effects
(see FDA package
- Pregnancy â€“ Pregnant smokers should be encouraged to quit without
medication. Bupropion has not been shown to be effective for
tobacco dependence treatment in pregnant smokers. (Bupropion is
an FDA pregnancy Class C agent.) Bupropion has not been evaluated
in breastfeeding patients..
- Cardiovascular diseases â€“ Generally well-tolerated; occasional reports
- Side effects â€“ The most common reported side effects were insomnia
(35â€“40%) and dry mouth (10%).
- Contraindications â€“ Bupropion SR is contraindicated in individuals
who have a history of seizures or eating disorders, who are taking
another form of bupropion, or who have used an MAO inhibitor in
the past 14 days.
- Patients should begin bupropion SR treatment 1â€“2 weeks before
they quit smoking. Patients should begin with a dose of 150 mg
every morning for 3 days, then increase to 150 mg twice daily. Dosage
should not exceed 300 mg per day. Dosing at 150 mg twice daily
should continue for 7â€“12 weeks. For long-term therapy, consider use
of bupropion SR 150 mg for up to 6 months postquit.
- Stopping smoking prior to quit date â€“ Recognize that some patients
may lose their desire to smoke prior to their quit date or will spontaneously
reduce the amount they smoke.
- Dosing information â€“ If insomnia is marked, taking the PM dose
earlier (in the afternoon, at least 8 hours after the first dose) may
provide some relief.
- Alcohol â€“ Use alcohol only in moderation.
- 1 box of 60 tablets, 150 mg = $97 per month (generic); $197 to $210
|Bupropion HCL SR 150 Information source: (Fiore et al, 2008)|
aCost data were established by averaging the retail price of the medication at national chain pharmacies
in Atlanta, GA, Los Angeles, CA, Milwaukee, WI , Sunnyside, NY, and listed online during
January 2008 and may not reflect discounts available to health plans and others.
1. Fiore MC, JaÃ©n CR, Baker TB, et al. Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update. Clinical Practice Guideline. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Public Health Service. May 2008.
2. GlaxoSmithKline. PRESCRIBING INFORMATION. July 2009. Available at http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_zyban.pdf (accessed on 25 July 2009).
Back to top
Return from Bupropion HCL SR 150 to Stop Smoking Programs