Self Hypnosis to Stop Smoking
These self hypnosis instructions provide a step-by-step guide to using hypnotism to stop smoking. Once you have learned the basics and you know how to hypnotise yourself, you can move on to improve other areas of your life.
Being hypnotised by a clinical hypnotist before trying self-hypnosis can boost your confidence and improve your chances of success.
Not only will you know what a hypnotic trance state feels like before trying to hypnotise yourself but you may also get self hypnosis instructions that have already worked for you.
The self hypnosis instructions that follow below get straight to the point. If you have any questions about hypnotherapy or if you would like more background information, before we start, you should review the Hypnotism to Quit Smoking page.
The Hypnosis, Smoking, Cessation Awards
Your goal is to stop smoking and you need to have a firm grip on this before you begin to hypnotise yourself.
Later, while you are inducing your own trance you will focus on your goal by picturing your attendance at the "Hypnosis, Smoking, Cessation Awards". Picture an illustrious affair like the academy awards and the Cannes film festival with paparazzi cameras flashing left and right as you walk down the red carpet.
You have been nominated because you have successfully become a non-smoker. During your trance you will picture all the splendour of the event. All of your family and friends are there - applauding as your name is called after the host sings your praises as an award winning non-smoker.
Self Hypnosis Instructions
- Choose a quiet location. It does not have to be completely silent but it should be a pleasant and peaceful place.
- Go to this place and begin your session when you are sure you will not be disturbed for an hour.
- Get comfortable in an easy chair or lay down on your back if you prefer.
- Close your eyes and try to relax - completely.
- Systematically tense, hold for 3 seconds and then relax your: face, shoulders, arms, hands, torso, abdominals, upper legs and finally your feet. This will help to release any tension.
- Clear your mind of all thoughts and focus on your breathing. Close your mouth, rest your tongue in the roof of your mouth and breathe in and out of your nose.
- Breathe in and then out, slowly, three times - then count down from ten to one (decrease by one each time you exhale). At this point you should start to feel very relaxed.
- When you get to one, imagine the light from a photocopier... it is very, very slowly, scanning your body from head to toe. As it passes down the length of your body it removes all remaining tension, stress, fear and anxiety.
- You are now completely relaxed and ready for suggestion. Remember your goal is to stop smoking. All you need to do from here is experience the award ceremony. Your subconscious will do the rest.
Note: If you are using this self hypnosis instruction to improve any other area of your life - get creative and create a simple goal of your own using the hypnosis, smoking, cessation award idea.
- After the award ceremony, when you have collected your trophy you will gradually begin to awaken from your trance state. All of the excitement and energy from the event will remain with you.
- Count upwards... slowly, from 1 to 5. When you get to 5 are wide awake. You feel completely refreshed and re-energised.
You may find it difficult to remain relaxed for a complete hour on your first few attempts at self hypnosis. That is not so important. Repeat the self-hypnosis instruction on a daily basis, visualising every detail of collecting your award until your session lasts for about an hour then focus on a different area of your life.
Return from Self Hypnosis to Stop Smoking Programs